Sabah Tourism Awards is held as a tribute to individuals and organizations that have excelled and contributed to the development of tourism and hospitality in Sabah. The award is an incentive for participants to strive for higher level of professionalism in both service and product quality.
A premier symbol of ultimate achievement, the trophy is made of Malaysian pewter, locally hand-forged by master craftsmen.
Design: Mount Kinabalu
One of the most famous icons of Sabah, Mount Kinabalu is a renowned UNESCO World Heritage Site – Kinabalu Park, along with other upland areas of the Crocker Range and is well-known for its rich botanical and biological species biodiversity with plants of Himalayan, Australasian, and Indo-Malayan origin. Standing majestically at 4,095.2 metres, Mount Kinabalu is the highest mountain on the island of Borneo, in the East Malaysian state and is known as one of the most conquerable and prominent peaks in the world.
Murut Motif – Nahulalan
The Murut Nahulalan motif symbolizes bravery and strength of oneself. The motif is usually used for mangayou, the headhunting activity in the past. For the Murut community during those days, victory can only be declared once they have in their hands the heads of their enemies.
LIST OF AWARD WINNERS:
1) BEST SHOPPING MALL EXPERIENCE (IMAGO SHOPPING MALL)
2) BEST ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE (KUTA BISTRO, KOTA KINABALU)
3) BEST M.I.C.E. CONTRIBUTOR (LANDSTAR TOUR SDN BHD)
4) BEST WELLNESS EXPERIENCE- HOTEL/RESORT (CHI, THE SPA, SHANGRI-LA’S TANJUNG ARU RESORT & SPA)
5) BEST WELLNESS EXPERIENCE – STANDALONE (KAMA’A REJUVENATION & WELLBEING SPA)
6) BEST DINING EXPERIENCE – HOTEL/RESORT (FERDINAND’S THE MAGELLAN SUTERA RESORT)
7) BEST DINING EXPERIENCE – STAND ALONE (SAKAGURA JAPANESE RESTAURANT, KK)
8) BEST GOLFING EXPERIENCE (DALIT BAY GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB)
9) EST TOUR GUIDE (RYAN BIN TEMMU – AMAZING BORNEO TOURS & EVENTS)
10) MOST PROMISING TOUR GUIDE (AK MOHD SHAHRIN NIZAM BIN HAISRON – BORNEO NATURE TOURS)
11) BEST TOURISM ARTICLE ON SABAH – MALAYSIA/OVERSEAS
TITLE OF ARTICLE: HOW TO SPEND 2 WEEKS IN SABAH, MALAYSIA
WRITER: THE O’BRIENDS ABROAD
12) BEST TV PROGRAMME ON SABAH – MALAYSIA/OVERSEAS
TITLE OF VIDEO: LET’S CYCLE (SEASON 3)
13) BEST SOCIAL MEDIA CONTRIBUTOR (SZTV BY SCUBA ZOO)
14) BEST INBOUND TOUR PACKAGE (28 days 27 Nights in Borneo By Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventure)
15) BEST COMMUNITY-BASED TOURISM INITIATIVE – RURAL (MURUG-TURUG ECO TOURISM)
16) BEST TOURISM PRODUCT (WALAI PENYU CONSERVATION PARK, LIBARAN)
17) BEST TOURISM INNOVATION (MARI MARI CULTURAL VILLAGE)
18) EXCELLENCE IN HOTEL SERVICE – 5 STAR (THE MAGELLAN SUTERA RESORT)
19) EXCELLENCE IN HOTEL SERVICE – 4 STAR & 3 STAR (HOTEL GRANDIS)
20) EXCELLENCE IN HOTEL SERVICE – 2 STAR BELOW (HOTEL SIXTY3 KK)
21) HOMESTAY (TANAK NABALU HOMESTAY, KG LOBONG LOBONG)
22) DIVE RESORT (SIPADAN-KAPALAI DIVE RESORT)
23) BEST OVERSEAS TOUR OPERATOR – UK & IRELAND (NATURAL TRAVEL COLLECTION LTD. – WILDLIFE WORLDWIDE)
24) BEST OVERSEAS TOUR OPERATOR – SINGAPORE (AMAZING BORNEO TRAVEL & EVENTS PTE LTD)
25) BEST OVERSEAS TOUR OPERATOR – KOREA (HANATOUR SERVICE INC.)
26) BEST OVERSEAS TOUR OPERATOR – HONG KONG (HONG KONG WING ON TRAVEL SERVICE LIMITED)
27) BEST OVERSEAS TOUR OPERATOR – TAIWAN (FANTAST TRAVEL SERVICE CO. LTD)
28) BEST OVERSEAS TOUR OPERATOR – CHINA (GUANGDONG CHINA WOMEN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL SERVICES CO. LTD)
29) BEST INBOUND TOUR OPERATOR – MALAYSIA/SABAH (PELANCONGAN TAIKAR WORLDMART SDN BHD)
30) BEST PARTNER AIRLINES – FOREIGN BASED (EASTAR JET & CHINA SOUTHERN AIRLINES)
31) BEST PARTNER AIRLINES – MALAYSIA BASED (AIR ASIA)
SPECIAL MINISTER AWARD
Tham Yau Kong
Awarded in recognition for his commitment and strong belief in the preservation of Sabah’s historical stories. His efforts in assisting with the identification process of the Sandakan-Ranau death march route has opened doors for greater understanding of Sabah’s history during World War Two. His experience in the Tourism industry and active involvement in Community Based Tourism has shown that it is important to be both innovative and passionate in order to stand tall among others.
Awarded in recognition for his extensive efforts in the growth and development of Dive Tourism in Sabah. His advocacy in spreading the importance of protecting and conserving Sabah’s marine world has led to the creation of more awareness on professionalism in recreational diving, as well as dive resort management in the East Coast of Sabah. His contribution to the dive industry has led to being the only Malaysian in the International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame.
Awarded in recognition for his milestone in developing social entrepreneurship through community and environment initiatives and projects. It is with the hope that through his accolade will inspire other tourism players to achieve new heights. He has shown that all should play a role to make a difference in society.
Guangzhou Asian World International Travel Co.
Awarded in recognition of their efforts in promoting Sabah as well as assisting in the development of tourism in Sabah for the past ten years. This award is to also acknowledge the CSR programmes executed towards raising awareness about the importance of marine conservation in order to preserve Sabah’s natural resources and attractions in Semporna.